Learning how to dab often seems complex and difficult, but it doesn't have to!
Thanks to the evolution of dabbing technology, enjoying concentrates is easy with simple tools like the dab straw that don't require intricate dab rig setups.
We've been using dab straws to enjoy quick, on-the-go dabs for years now.
By the end of this post, you'll know how to use a dab straw like a pro.
Let's define what a dab straw is.
What is a dab straw?
A dab straw in its simplest form is a long pipe made from borosilicate glass.
When researching how to use a dab straw, you'll find it's often referred to as a honey straw or nectar collector.
The bottom end of the dab straw or nectar collector is used to dab and the top end is your mouthpiece where the vapor is inhaled.
Usually, a dab straw or nectar collector is a basic cylindrical silicone or glass design, but they come in dozens of various styles and shapes.
Even the tip of your dab straw comes in different materials, like glass, titanium, and quartz.
For the best flavor, stick with a quartz or glass tip for your dab straw.
For the most durable material, titanium will be your preferred material for the dab straw tip.
Many honey straws also include water chambers to add extra filtration and cooling to your dabs.
How to use a dab straw
Like we mentioned, using a dab straw or nectar collector is pretty easy.
Follow these steps to take a dab with one:
- Grab your dab straw or nectar collector, concentrate, and torch. Feel free to keep your concentrate in the dish or container.
- Check that your dab straw parts are dry, then attach the tip and secure all parts.
- Fill your dab straw's water chamber first, if it has one.
- In one hand, hold your dab straw at a downwards angle.
- Heat the tip of your dab straw with your torch's flame.
- Turn your dab straw to heat the tip evenly, and stop once it's red.
- Dabbing at too high of a temperature can damage your dab straw, ruin the flavor of your concentrates, or even go beyond vaporizing and into combustion.
- Allow the tip to cool down for several seconds.
- In your free hand, hold your concentrate dish, then lightly touch the dish with the tip and draw using the mouthpiece.
- Avoid dragging the tip in your dish and gently dab on the edges of your concentrate.
The steps above work for both glass and quartz dab straws.
Electric dab straw
Would you believe there's an even easier way to dab than the process we just outlined?
Electric dab straws are one of the newest forms of dabbing and eliminate the need for a torch.
This makes the dabbing process even easier.
The process is simple.
Turn on the electric dab straw, angle the end of your dab straw towards your concentrates, then inhale.
Most of these devices can fit into your pocket, making them extremely portable.
For a safe and simple dabbing method with little to no setup time, look no further than an electric dab straw.
Pros of using concentrates
You might be wondering;
Why bother with concentrates instead of dry herbs or edibles?
Concentrates come with a number of advantages over other methods of cannabis consumption.
One being that you can feel the same (or even more potent) effects with concentrates as you do with flower or edibles, while using far less of it.
This means concentrates are more budget-friendly than other methods.
As an added bonus, there's no worry of inhaling harmful smoke or other contaminants when dabbing concentrates like there is with smoking a bong.
Concentrates also work much faster than other forms of cannabis and capture the full flavor profile, unlike dry herbs and edibles.
The best part?
When it comes to being discreet, concentrates reign supreme.
They are extremely easy to transport and don't have the lingering smell that comes with combusting flower.
Taking your dab straw or nectar collector on the road with you is a breeze too.
Share this post
- Tags: how to dab